Dan Riskin is a TV personality and biologist best known for hosting Animal Planet’s Monsters Inside Me, a show that examines things like parasites, bacteria, fungi, and other oddities that claim residence in human bodies. Season eight of Monsters Inside Me returns on the night of Sunday, October 15. Dan was nice enough to participate in our twenty questions questionnaire series recently.
1. You walk into a bar. What do you order from the bartender?
A club soda with lime.
2. Who’s your favorite person to follow on Twitter and/or Instagram?
3. What’s currently waiting for you on your DVR?[Edmonton] Oilers games.
4. It’s your last meal — what are you going out with?
5. What websites do you visit on a regular basis?
New York Times, Economist, New Yorker, Quanta.
6. What’s the most frequently played song on your mobile device?
“Do the Propeller” by the Wiggles (my kids like it).
7. If you could go back and give your 18-year-old self one piece of advice what would it be?
Don’t skip the Radiohead concert at Dinwoodie Lounge in 1995, you idiot.
8. What’s the last thing you Googled?
“How to answer rapid-fire questions cleverly.”
9. Dogs or cats?
Dogs (google “Toxoplasma“).
10. Best concert of your life was…?
Lollapalooza 1994. (Green Day, Beasties, Nick Cave, Smashing Pumpkins, L7, Q-Tip, etc.)
11. What book are you most likely to give as a gift?
Mother Nature is Trying to Kill You, by Dan Riskin. It’s really solid.
12. What’s the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?
My wife gave birth to my offspring twice. I thought that was thoughtful of her.
13. South Park or Family Guy?
Family Guy. (I used to live in Rhode Island.)
14. You have an entire day to do whatever you want. What would you do?
Plan a perfect week.
15. What movie can you not resist watching if it’s on?
The Godfather II.
16. The sports team or teams you’re most passionate about?
17. Where did you eat the best meal of your life?
Berber couscous and vegetables, outside a tent, under the stars of the Sahara desert, with my wife. A camel walked over in the dark and started trying to steal our food. It was very romantic.
18. The last movie you saw in a theater?
Despicable Me 3 (my kid liked it).
19. Who was your first celebrity crush?
20. What would you cook if Nic Cage was coming to your house for dinner?
Awfully good cereal flakes.
PREVIOUSLY: Terry Kinney