The Ghana Armed Forces has denied reports that Ghanaian soldiers in peacekeeping operation in Mali have been attacked.
The supposed bloody attack on the Ghanaian contingent has gone viral on social media platforms, especially instant messaging app WhatsApp.
The bloody images circulating on social media has a soldier being treated of multiple injuries from the supposed attack.
But Speaking to StarrFMonline.com Friday, the Public Affairs Director of the Ghana Armed Forces, Colonel Aggrey Quashie, said although the UN compound in Mali which accommodates soldiers on peacekeeping operations has been raided, no Ghanaian officer was hurt in the attacks.
“My information is that the UN compound where many of the soldiers are based has been attacked by rebels but no Ghanaian soldier has so far been hurt. So as far as we know, the Ghanaian soldiers are safe,” he said.
Ghana since time immemorial has been a reliable partner and a major contributor to the UN on peacekeeping operations across the African continent.
The Ghanaian soldiers have on many occasions been commended by the UN for their professionalism at war theaters.