Top stories

Kumasi Academy: 3 students die in just 10 days; students stage demo

Students of the Kumasi Academy Senior High School in the Ashanti region demonstrated on Friday evening to seek answers from authorities on the mysterious death of three of their mates.

Three students of the school are said to have died within a period of 15 days.

The three, who were granted permission to go home for treatment after they complained of sickness, died while at home.

Another student, however, fell sick on Friday, March 31 and his mates, who became suspicious over the previous deaths and similar fashion but on different occasions, decided to go rampage.

Students in the school vandalised school buses and other properties in the process and attempted to attack the assistant head teacher of the school.

Over 100 parents stormed the school Friday evening after some of their wards called to inform them about a food poisoning incident.

The parents were not allowed access to the school premises by security of the school who had blocked the entrances. Police officers from the Asokore Mampong and Manhyia Divisional Police Commands were called for reinforcement.

Confirming the incident to Class News, Assistant Head Teacher in charge of Academics, Ernest Wiafe, said calm had returned to the school but the parents would have to come back at a later time.

According to him, “the students were agitated after supper when they heard rumours another student had passed on”.

He said one first year student and two second year students had passed away in the past days.

“They did not die in the school here. These are students who fell sick, reported at the sick bay, they were given first aid, the nurses sought the permission of their respective house heads, they went home, they were taken to hospital but unfortunately passed on at those health facilities,” he explained.

He said the issue had been reported to the Municipal Health Directorate.

“The Director has instructed some of his personnel to come over. They have taken information from the school and they want to do follow-up at the respective health facilities where the students unfortunately passed away so that they can put a finger on what transpired.

He emphasised that there had been “nothing like food poisoning” adding that “the school has a population of over 2000 and if it was food poisoning you would have imagined the numbers [of students who will fall ill]”.

Mr Wiafe indicated that the deaths are “isolated cases and ailments, however investigations by professionals are still ongoing and I believe in the end we will know everything”.

He ruled out the possibility of sending all students home.

Source: Classfmonline

x

Check Also

Richard ‘Olele’ Kingson threatens to quit Black Stars job

Former Black Stars goalkeeper, Richard Olele Kingston, has threatened to resign from his current job ...