A glamorous dentist who wanted to enlarge her chin and lips has died after plastic surgery went wrong, it has been reported.
Police have opened a criminal investigation into the death of the 23-year-old Russian patient, amid claims a widely-used anaesthetic caused her to have “convulsions”.
The woman, named only as Maria D, is believed to have died on the operating table from anaphylactic collapse, or acute heart failure, brought on during the plastic surgery procedure.
Maria had gone to the clinic to enlarge her chin and lips, signing up for an operation by Senegal-born surgeon Marsello Ntire at his Isabella clinic in her home city Volgograd, Russia.
A source at Russia’s Investigative Committee – equivalent of the FBI in the US – said: “The victim came to this clinic at the end of October.
“After a preliminary consultation with a surgeon, who is the general director of this clinic, the young woman was sent to have medical tests and the date of the surgery was fixed – 16 November.
“The patient came for surgery at the appointed time.”
It is understood she wanted a “fuller chin”.
“During the surgery she had several injections,” said the source. “After one of them, she suddenly started convulsions.
“Shortly after that, her condition stabilised but despite this, the surgeon called an ambulance.
“Before it arrived, she had new attack of convulsions,” the source continued.
“Reanimating measures, also involving ambulance paramedics, did not save her.
“The patient died on the operation table.”
A criminal investigation into Dr Ntire’s conduct was launched by the committee.
He is being probed under an article of the Russian criminal code relating to providing services “with lack of safety leading to accidental death”.
The medic said: “While the investigation is going on, we cannot comment.
“But the woman took all the necessary examinations, and had her tests done.”
There were no indications that she was allergic to the anaesthetics, or that she could suffer dangerous reactions, he added, saying he did all he could to save her life.
Russian reports named the anaesthetic that led to the woman’s convulsions as German-made Ubistesin.
The doctor,55, came to the Soviet Union with his diplomat parents, and stayed on after they left studying medicine in Russia.
He has a ‘great reputation’ in the city, according to local reports, conducting more than 5,000 plastic surgery operations.