Teaching at schools in Nigeria’s northeastern state of Borno on Tuesday resumed, more than one year after a shutdown due to Boko Haram attacks.
Before reopening the schools, Borno state government had called on parents to send their children back to school, as fears remain due to continued blasts by the Islamist group.
Musa Kubo, commissioner for education in Borno, said safety of the campuses could be guaranteed.
Boko Haram, active in northern Nigeria, has killed more than 10,000 and kidnapped hundreds since its insurgency started in 2009.
Schools were not spared, with many of them attacked and at least two hundred school girls still abducted by the group, with their whereabouts not clear.
During the days of closure, some schools were used as camps for those displaced by Boko Haram violence.
In recent operations, the military reclaimed most of the areas previously held by Boko Haram. However, suicide bombings persist, causing heavy civilian casualties.
Kubo said education authorities in Borno had made efforts to ensure the syllabuses could be met after the year-long break.
College students preparing for external examination for admission into tertiary institutions will have mock examination soon, the official said, adding only those who perform well in the mock examination will be allowed to attend the external examination organized by the West African Examination Council.
A Xinhua reporter who visited parts of the state, especially Maiduguri, capital of Borno, said most of the schools were open with teaching going on, but turnout of students and teachers in some schools was low.
The reporter said there was “anxiety in the minds of teachers and students.”
Nuru Alli, a student of Mafoni Government Day Secondary School, said many students had moved to other states to continue their education.
“We are really happy to return to school. Now, we can achieve our dreams and make progress in life,” he said.