Top stories

Saudi Arabia Condemns ‘Terrorist’ Attacks in Paris

Humanity love flowerSaudi Arabia, the UAE, Kuwait, Qatar and Egypt have been among the Arab states leading condemnations of the simultaneous attacks in Paris that killed more than 127 people late Friday.

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister gave a statement on the attacks on Saturday as he arrived in Vienna for talks on ending Syria’s civil war.

“I wanted to express our condolences to the government and people of France for the heinous terrorist attacks that took place yesterday which are in violation and contravention of all ethics, morals and religions,” Adel al-Jubeir told reporters in Vienna.

“The kingdom of Saudi Arabia has long called for more intensified international efforts to combat the scourge of terrorism in all its forms and shapes,” he said.

Also on the sidelines of the Vienna talks, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the Paris attacks will impact the agenda of international talks on the Syria crisis.

“Those events which happened not far from here will absolutely cause adjustments in the agenda of today’s event,” Zakharova told reporters.

Meanwhile, Qatar’s foreign minister said the attacks violate all human and moral values.

“The state of Qatar, through its foreign minister, strongly condemns these heinous attacks that have struck the French capital causing so many victims,” Khaled al-Attiyah said in a statement sent to Reuters by the embassy in Paris.

“These acts, which target stability and security in France are against all human and moral values,” he added.

Jordan’s King Abdullah, meanwhile, expressed “deep regret and sadness” over the Paris attacks, also pledging solidarity with France.

In a statement from the UAE press agency, President Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan offered his condolences to French President Francois Hollande, who had earlier declared a state of emergency across the country after the attacks. Sheikh Khalifa also said his country strongly condemns the attacks.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi offered his condolences and “expressed his solidarity” with Paris, in a statement from the official news agency.

“Such terrorist attacks will not weaken the will of peace-loving countries,” Sisi was quoted as saying by a foreign ministry source.

Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Sabah, meanwhile, sent a “cable of condolence” to Hollande, condemning “these criminal acts of terrorism which run counter to all teachings of holy faith and humanitarian values.”

He reaffirmed Kuwait’s solidarity with the French people and government, saying Kuwait supports all measures France might take to protect its security against the terror attacks.

Bahrain’s Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa also offered his condolences and pledged solidarity with France.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi condemned the gun and bomb attacks, saying they showed the need for action against militants worldwide.

“We condemn and deplore the terrorist attacks in Paris, which emphasize that fighting terrorism calls for international efforts to eliminate it in all countries,” Abadi said in a statement.

Neighboring states Turkey and Iran also condemned the attack.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan offered his condolences after the attacks, calling for “a consensus of the international community against terrorism”.

“As a country that knows very well the manner and consequences of terrorism, we understand perfectly the suffering that France is experiencing now,” he said in a short televised statement.

Iranian President Hassan Rowhani sent a message of condolence to French counterpart Francois Hollande on the shootings and bombings in Paris that left more than 120 people dead, Iran’s official IRNA news agency reported.

Rowhani postponed what would have been the first visit to Europe by an Iranian president in 10 years after the attacksthat he described as “crimes against humanity.”

Rowhani had been due to hold talks in Rome on Saturday with Pope Francis as well as Italian counterpart Sergio Mattarella and Prime Minister Matteo Renzi before traveling on to the French capital.

Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, who had been due to travel with Rowhani, told state television he would now instead head Iran’s delegation to international talks on the Syrian conflict in Vienna.

 

 

Credit: Saudi Gazette

Leave a Reply

x

Check Also

[EXCLUSIVE VIDEO] Paris Attacks: The Moment Shooting Began at Bataclan Theater Captured!!

This video footage captures the exact moment fire was opened on concert-goers at the Bataclan ...