2. They like to sleep a lot! On average, cats spend 2/3 of every day sleeping. In other words, they spend about 70% of their lives sleeping.
3.They do not think you are different than them! While dogs recognize that humans are a different species than them, cats do not. They think that we are large, non-hostile cats. This is particularly interesting given the next fact…
4. Our brains are similar! Biologically, a cat’s brain is more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s – to be precise, their brains are about 90% similar to ours.. Cats have regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions, just like us.
5. Their whiskers serve an important function! Cat’s whiskers grow to be as long as the cat is wide. Cats use their whiskers to test if their body will be able to fit through tight spaces.
6. They can find doors confusing! Cats have limited object permanence – this means that sometimes they do not comprehend that different doors can lead to the same room. So if you have two doors leading to your backyard, cats may not understand that it is the same place. They think there are two backyards, one for each door.
7. They are strong and fast! Cats can jump six times their length and they can run as fast as 30 mph.
8. They have gone to space! The first cat was sent into space in 1963. It was a French cat named Felicette. And she survived!
9. They can hold political positions! In a town called Talkeetna, Alaska, a cat called Stubbs has been the mayor for 15 years. Residents say he is the best major they have ever had.
10. They have been made into mummies! It was mentioned earlier that cats were thought to be divine in Ancient Egypt. This made the funeral processes very important. When a family cat passed away, family members would mourn by shaving off their eyebrows. The body of the cat was mummified with a sculpted wooden mask. The embalmed corpse was placed in the family tomb or in a pet cemetery.