Anyone who’s experienced heartbreak knows that there’s no magic formula for making someone fall in love with you. (Or in some cases, back in love with you).
However, you can up your chances of making that special lady swoon by following a few of these simple tips.
• Be all ears: Women like to work out their problems. Offer a bended ear and fight the urge to provide a solution or rush her to the point. She just wants you to listen while she vents, explains or just muses.
• Compliment her: A lot of women put a lot of effort into looking nice for their date. Offer a flattering remark on her time well spent and she will be delighted that you noticed.
• Throw a pep rally: Act as her cheerleader on life’s sidelines. Support her choices, feelings, successes and failures and she will appreciate (and lean on) her biggest fan.
• Remember that chivalry is not dead: Man the door, pull the chair and wait for her to be seated. Treating her like a lady never goes out of style.
• Focus all eyes on her: Focus on her with attention and interest. Extracurricular gazing makes you look bored and rude.
• Leave a message: Whether it’s your first date or the tenth, leave a message asserting how much you enjoyed your time with her and how you can’t wait to see her again.
• Growing love: Bring or send her flowers because it’s Thursday or for no reason at all. Better yet, send them to work or her school to make her feel beautiful and appreciated.
• Be Mr. Clean: You may not know it, but every time she picks up your wet towel or cleans beard clippings from the sink, the romance wears off.
• Play the music man: Learn how to play the guitar or hone your singing voice. Ladies melt over the simultaneous vulnerability and bad boy coolness of confident rock stars. No musical talent? Demonstrate passion in a hobby that you love.
• Clown around: Hone your funny bone to encourage her to feel comfortable, let loose and get silly.
• Drop it like it’s hot: Shrug off the small things and let it go. A diffusing attitude and cool demeanour is always a welcome response to pending crisis.
• Keep it all in the family: Woo her friends and family, too. Her circle will be the first to comment on your worthiness of her attention.
• Take the consultative approach: Seek her advice, even if you don’t really need it. Consulting her shows that you appreciate her opinion and that she is useful and comforting.
• Zip it: If you aren’t complimenting members of her inner circle, zip it. It’s an instant turnoff to hear a negative opinion about those that have been in her life long before you came along.
• Get lost: While prioritising her in your life is important, she can’t be the only thing going on. Spend time with others and do your own thing to make the heart grow fonder.
• Slow it down: Court her with a slow dance whenever possible.
• Timing is everything: Arrive on time for your date. Although traffic and miscalculations can be forgiven, consistently showing up late sends the signal that her time isn’t as important as yours.
• Remember that family matters: Introducing your new ladylove to your family will demonstrate how important she is in your life.
The way you treat your family presents a good gauge of what she can expect in your courtship.
• Surprise!: Catch her unaware with that dress she has been eyeing, a message on her voicemail or a note in her bag to keep her guessing and excited.
• Soup for the soul: Take care of her when she is under the weather with a care package of cough drops, chicken soup, or a get well note.
She may not feel (or look) her best, but these moments will show that you are in it to win it.