An alliance of Chinese companies intent on cleaning up the internet is seeking a Chief Pornography Officer to research websites for obscene material and “manage and rate” the results of their findings.
Candidates have overwhelmed the human resources department of the newly-formed alliance, lured by the 200,000 yuan (£21,000) salary and the hope of bringing moral fortitude to their nation while consuming endless hours of pornography.
The China Daily newspaper claims the Beijing-based post has already received more than 5,000 applications, quoting Yang Jilong, the group’s human resources chief, as claiming the “position specialising in tackling online pornography” is the “most popular” among applicants.
He explained the purpose of the job was one of sifting true smut from merely naughty material for Chinese users, and admitted that some websites might require further inspection from a higher authority.
“As we find vulgar information and safety risks on websites, we’ll remind Web users with an online label, while for those that we’re not sure about, we’ll ask law school professors and government administrators for help,” he said.
Skills in foreign languages are essential for the job, as much of the material the officer will assess will originate from Europe, the US and Japan, and good teamwork skills and a strong “sense of responsibility” are a plus.
Free fruit and yoghurt on week days are an added bonus for the successful applicant.
The production and distribution of pornography are officially banned in the country, but the government has struggled to keep such material behind what was once described as the “great firewall of China” in an age of mobile phones and tools such as virtual private networks (VPNs), which allow users to appear to be in different countries when they log on.
Full text of the advert (Translation via ChinaSMACK)
Job Responsibilities: Quickly and accurately identifying pornographic and obscene websites.
1. Research and study pornographic videos and images, formulate criteria for determining obscenity.
2. Deploy courseware on the standards of obscenity determination, and study materials such as educational videos on pornography.
3. Manage and rate pornographic resources (including BT seeds, images, and online videos).
1. Familiarity with the different standards of determination of pornographic content of different countries;
2. Familiarity with the standards of determination and express regulations concerning pornography in China’s law;
3. Familiarity with the standards of pornography identification used by CNNIC (China Internet Network Information Center) and various major internet providers;
4. A bachelor’s degree or above; age between 20-35; all genders;
5. Possesses good teamwork skills, and a strong sense of responsibility.
1. National standard insurances and additional allowance for meals, transportation and phone.
2. Expenses on relevant books can be reimbursed. Free fruits and yogurt each week day.
3. Free physical examination once every year, and gift for birthday, wedding and child birth.