Top stories

Ghana: British Engineer, Electrocuted In Hotel Shower

A young engineer from Cornwall is believed to have died after he was electrocuted in a hotel shower in Africa.

It is thought Alex Osborne, 24, from Lanner, was killed while using a workmate’s shower when his did not work properly at the Stellar Lodge in Takoradi, Ghana on February 25.

Huseini Musah Awinaba, Takoradi District Police Crime Officer, told a news website in Ghana that Mr Osborne had suffered a small shock just before his death in his own shower.

He then asked his colleague, fellow drilling engineer Andrew Rowe if he could use his.

Moments later Mr Rowe heard screams and allegedly saw sparks coming from the hose which was lying across Mr Osborne’s body.

Another colleague came to help and Mr Osborne was taken into the corridor to be resuscitated but he died.

His body was taken to Effia Nkwanta Regional Hospital morgue in Sekondi where an autopsy was to take place.

According to the officer, police have launched a full-scale investigation into the case.

Mr Osborne was an engineer for Fugro Seacore, a marine drilling company, based in Falmouth.

Managing director, Bob Jenkins, told the BBC that it was a tragic accident adding: ‘Out of respect for Alex’s parents, I am not in a position to comment further at this stage.’

Leave a Reply